Mom of 3 girls takes you on her inspirational journey to live life to the fullest for 365 days prior to her 40th birthday...and invites you to take the pledge to live your best life!

Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 38 and 39 - Selfishness - I've had enough!

The world needs more idealism!
I came home today and I guess everything that was on my mind must've also been on my face.  My heart was heavy.  The first thing my husband said was, "Are you okay--You look like something's on your mind."  I initially tried to act like everything was fine...but it wasn't.  My family is going through a lot of change right now and when you're going through change, you need only close, positive people around you.  I can remember a political science class I took in colllege, which was taught by a professor by the name of David Frolick.

Dr. Frolick would somehow, no matter what the subject matter was, end up on a conversation about Thomas Hobbes and his theory that man is only interested in that which benefits him. An idealist is who I was and who I will likely always be.  I've always believed that it's human nature to be good and kind and make decisions about others based on how you would want to be treated.  That is how I've always tried to live.  As I grow older, I'm not so sure anymore.

I was at Starbucks today and mistakenly bumped into a woman.  A very small amount of her drink fizzled through the peep hole and splashed--It was even enough to use the word "splash,"  In fact, I can't even think of a word gentle enough to describe the small amount of liquid that came out of her cup.  My natural reaction was to say, "I'm so sorry...Are you okay?"--as I helped stabilize her drink.  Her response, in a rude two year old tone–"No, not really!"  All I could think to say was "In that case, I take my apology back."  That's what my mind said, but instead my mouth said nothing...and so the last few days have been that way...People being concerned with only themselves and me finding the need to distance myself. 

My husband is protective and reminds me that not everyone wishes others well.  He is a good man and reminds me that my heart is special and rare.  I believe him and pray to God that I will never be tainted by self-interest. 

SO, as I  start this precious day, I look forward to positive energy, positive thoughts and idealism...Please share one positive thing today – I'm sure we could all use a bit of positive energy today and everyday!

Hey, what's bugging you?!

Make it a great day, today!

4 comments:

DwightG said...

My one positive thing - I have you in my life

Anonymous said...

I sent you mine via email. Too embarrassed to post it. :)

The Outside Child said...

One positive blessing in this life is....YOU! Even though we've never laid eyes on each other outside of FB, I am inspired by you and your decision to live, and to live out loud! I love the pics of the beautiful family that you have and the love that you pour into your family. African American mothers, like yourself, are almost becoming a faint memory of the past. In addition to that, I truly admire the love and appreciation you've expressed towards your own mother. What a joy to know that kind of motherly love because not everyone does. You seem to have a general love for mankind and a special adoration for your friends. The obvious relationship that you and your husband share just exudes love all overthe place....you two seem to have gotten God's directives from Ephesians 5:22-5:25 right on point!

As for that mean spirited woman in Starbucks, who only knows the pains in her heart that were exuded by her negative response. You responded how God would have wanted you to and I am sure He was well pleased. The good thing is that moment in time is over and now you can get back on your roller blades and ride off into another beautiful day of living out loud!

livingoutloud said...

Trish, you are so kind and you inspire me...Thanks for posting just when I need it!:)