Mom of 3 girls takes you on her inspirational journey to live life to the fullest for 365 days prior to her 40th birthday...and invites you to take the pledge to live your best life!

Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day 44 - Why I give!




Last night, I got a call from a friend, whose daughter needed my help.  Her daughter was getting ready for a Spirit Day at school and was trying to put together an 80's outfit.  It was late and I was tired, but I got in the car and drove a short distance to my girlfriend's house.  Why?...Because I love this young girl and can remember the mentors who made a difference in my life.  Hearing the excitement in her voice brought back such wonderful memories of my childhood.  I was excited to help!  Her phone call conjured up emotions I felt as a child and young adult as I prepared for spirit days, homecoming dances and sorority parties:)  There's something wonderful about the joy and carefree nature of kids and young adults!

The two of us at  A Girl's Gift's Graduation 2010


As a young girl, there were many women who helped me along the way with small things, big things and everything in between.  I can remember so many of them at different times throughout my life.  There were the women of "Family Focus," a neighborhood center that helped keep me and other young girls on track.  There were Barbara and Mary Shorter, who taught me at Charm school.  There was Sister Alexander from the church choir and Vivian Foster who bought my eight grade tangerine-orange graduation suit:) and June Thiemann, a high school English teacher who pushed me to express myself through writing...and there were so many more!

As I sat in my girlfriend's house, a flood of positive memories came rushing back–high school, prom, graduation, college...I also thought about many things that I didn't know as a young girl and wished someone had taught me-like how to swim!:)  Well, maybe not, I do have that whole hair thing going on!!:)   As I looked at her daughter try on item after item, I thought  about how much she has grown since I met her seven years ago and about how much my own girls have grown.  I thought about the fact that in just 5 years, my oldest daughter will be heading off to college...and I wonder, is she getting the benefit of having positive women around– like I did.  There's only so much I can teach her.  There's only so much a mother can teach her daughters...Sometimes, a Girl just needs positive reinforcement from a woman other than her mother... My girlfriend's daughter certainly didn't need my help--her mom has as much style as I:)  The fact is that she wanted someone other than her mom to issue that "stamp of approval" and that's normal and okay...
My daughter, my friend's daughter and I on Christmas a few years ago!

So, I hope that my friend's daughter will remember me when she's older.  I hope that there is some small thing that I've done for her and other girls that will make them better people.  I firmly believe that one of my missions in life is to be a positive influence for Girls.  I may not always get it right, but I sure try...

Here's the winning outfit!

Here's me two years ago at an 80's party!

         Passing on my 80's shirt!:)


FYI, if you don't feel like you're making a difference in the life of a Girl, consider becoming a mentor! Volunteering is as good for you as it is for the Girls!

Stay tuned for Day 45!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You nailed the look on the head and so did she!"

Anonymous said...

Ariel looks beautiful. This was a sweet post!

Anonymous said...

I don't like you sometimes...because you have the courage to say the things I think and feel...and do the things I've only thought about doing but been afraid to try. I "Wear the Mask that grins and lies..." But your blog helps me remember that I am not alone. Keep writing...:)

LaKeisha said...

Erika I look forward to reading your post everyday they have become a part of my daily rituals. Thank you for being so inspirational, honest and real. You bring back to memory so many things while you inform us on so many others. Thank you for sharing your wonderful family and adventures with us. You push me to be the better to whom much is given much is required.