Mom of 3 girls takes you on her inspirational journey to live life to the fullest for 365 days prior to her 40th birthday...and invites you to take the pledge to live your best life!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Day 45 - Best Friends?


It's no secret that for years the dog has been considered man's best friend!  I haven't always been fond of dogs; in fact for years, I was afraid of them.  Somewhere along the way, however, I feel in love with a little white Maltese named Winston and since that time, I've grown to appreciate the balance a dog can bring to your home.  I've had two dogs since Winston--one crazy one and one great one.  Sure there are days when you don't feel like walking him or you run out of dog food and don't feel like going out for more, but the truth is that if you bring the right kind of dog into your home, your life is a lot more balanced.

My "crazy dog" was Chocolate.  Chocolate had food bowl aggression, which means that whenever anyone came near his food bowl, he would go bananas!  He had bitten everyone in the family but me, including the girls.  I always found ways to explain away his aggression, when I should have found him another home after the first bite.  The final straw came when he attacked my oldest daughter.  He was not a family dog.  He was never meant to be a part of a family with small kids.  We finally took him to the pound.  After I got through losing Chocolate and releasing the guilt,  I hung out at the pound for weeks looking for the right dog...and much to my surprise, one rainy day, I met Midnight!



My dog, Midnight, is just the balance we need.  We all know that Midnight is my husband's dog, even though I convinced the family to bring him home....but what's so great about Midnight is that although he has an unmistakable bond with my husband, he really is a wonderful family dog.  Besides the occasional sprint through the electric fence and dash to my neighbor's house--where he can play with other dogs--he's pretty close to perfect.  He is always so peaceful.

Today my allergies got the best of me and I just couldn't seem to shake a cold, so I spent more time than usual relaxing on the sofa.  Midnight always manages to come along and make me feel better.  He pushes his nose right against my body and makes me rub him and he won't leave my side when he senses that something is wrong.  Perhaps this is what makes a dog, "man's best friend!"  Unconditional love.  I can fuss at him or  take a little longer than he wants to take him out, but he never gets angry with me.  He is always patient.  He is always kind.  He is always gentle with all the girls and he only wants us to love him–and because we treat him with respect, he loves us–unconditionally.

Stay tuned for Day 46!

No comments: